Tips for Finding a Job After Rehab
Searching for a job is stressful for anyone – and even more so if you’re returning to work after some time spent in rehab. But finding (and maintaining) employment is a crucial part of long-term sobriety. It will help you occupy your time and reintegrate into society in a meaningful way.
6 Things to Keep in Mind During Your Job Hunt
Just knowing that it’s not easy for anyone (whether or not you have a history of addiction) should help defuse some of the worry over this transition. Here are a few more tips to keep in mind.
- Consider volunteering. Finding a volunteer job is a great way to slowly reenter the job market — minus the stress and pressure. By giving back, you begin to restore your self-image and your reputation and worth in your community. What’s more, being of service to those in need has been shown to combat isolation, narcissism, resentment and relapse as well as build empathy, self-esteem and a sense of purpose.
- Think positively. Positive self-talk will help you stay focused on finding a job. Do your best to take one day at a time and remind yourself that this is something you can do and that you will be a valuable asset to any employer.
- Practice self-care. To make a good impression during an interview, make sure that you’re well groomed and nicely dressed — and don’t forget to put on a winning smile. Also, remember to make plenty of eye contact and practice good posture.
- Seek support. Transitioning from rehab and looking for work is stressful, so you may benefit from a little extra support at this time. Consider aftercare options that may help you take this next crucial step in recovery. Working with family members and trusted advisors to put together a job search plan may also be helpful.
- Don’t get discouraged. You might not find your dream job right away — and there may be fewer jobs available than you expected. If this is the case, consider getting additional training in a field that is hiring, working for a relative or friend or taking a job with a temporary agency.
- Remember, perseverance pays. You stuck with rehab and look how far you’ve come in your recovery. Now it’s time to use that same grit to go out and search for work. Happy job hunting!