Protect Pets from Pot

Home / Addiction / Protect Pets from Pot


Protect Pets from Pot

How many times have you set food on your counter or coffee table, only to have your dog chow down on it while you aren’t looking? Probably more times than you can count. Normally, this is not a big deal. But when your dog accidentally ingests food with marijuana in it, that becomes a big issue.

Legalization of marijuana is happening in numerous states across the country. This means people have better access to the drug. Often marijuana users will buy the drug pre-baked in a cookie, cake, pastry, etc. Although the human knows that a cupcake may have the drug in it, dogs definitely do not, and it puts them at risk.

In 2012, a study was published in the Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. The study followed 125 dogs that ingested marijuana from 2005-2010. All dogs were from Colorado, where marijuana is legal. The researchers found that 2 of the dogs died from chocking on their own vomit after eating the marijuana baked goods.

Vets at animal hospitals across the country are also noticing a trend of dogs coming in after accidentally getting into the drug. This trend will continue as long as marijuana is around and if the owners are not careful.

Protect your pets and yourself by keeping marijuana, in any form, out of your house and your system.